This post is a roundup post for the month january.
Just before the end of the year I created a tumblr blog where I shared some inspiring or interesting quotes.
- List of free GIS datasets
- GDAL/OGR 1.9 with support for lots of new drivers like DWG, CouchDB, ESRI FileGDB, SVG, Google Fusion Tables and many more new goodies.
- Designing a Minimalist OpenStreetMap Baselayer for MapBox
- Tilemill now also available for windows
- Clean Project: a simple tool for e-mailing Visual Studio solutions.
- SqlDiffFramework: a visual differencing engine for dissimilar data source.
- FluentMigrator: a migration framework for .net much like Ruby Migrations.
- Use DateTime.UtcNow, it's faster and you never have problems with daylight saving time 1 hour jumps (Scott Hanselmann got bitten by this one).
- 11 Things every Software Developer should be doing in 2012 : Twitter, StackOverflow, blog, get out there, have a modern phone, embrace mobile, learn a design pattern, set a reachable goal, learn a programming language, boost your confidence and read programming blogs,/books/magazines.
- Haskell for the Evil Genius
- Physicists Seek To Lose The Lecture As Teaching Tool
- Learn jQuery in 30 days
- Learn jQuery in 30 days with tuts+.
- Follow a Stanford course online, see at the bottom for more courses.
- I'm reading Real World Functional Programming and here is why you should pick up a functional programming language.
- Facebook, Google, ... Tax avoidance 2.0
- Minimum viable SEO (long tail vs head tail, use bread crumb navigation and use page titles.
- Duck programming, the pitfalls of building a system around rules engines, programmable workflow or domain-specific language and how to avoid them.
- Your time is $1000/hour, and you need to act accordingly: How should a startup founder value her time?
- Small teams are dramatically more efficient than large teams
- The Case Against Buying Christmas Presents by Leo Babauta.
- Awesome answers on the question "How accurate are the power numbers from a Tacx Flow?" at bicycles.stackexchange.com. Yet another reason to buy a power meter. Although not everyone agrees.
- Salary Negotiation: Make More Money, Be More Valued.
- Youtube: "Video Game Math is The New Reading" and "Shopping Math is The New Free
- Funky music: Goldfish - Get Busy Living
- Amazing C book review on Amazon
- Fascinating: Smart crows and ravens
New blogs to follow
- The Morning Brew: daily .NET software development link blog.
- ViperChill: a blog about viral marketing, the best post I read was The Post on Productivity I Wish Someone Else Had Written